Bloedel Conservatory, Vancouver BC
I love nature a lot. On my vacation to Canada, in the month of April, I decided to visit the Bloedel Conservatory which is a beautiful place. I especially love birds and I was looking forward to this visit. The conservatory is situated in Queen Elizabeth Park. To reach Bloedel, you have to walk up a small track. Then you have to walk into a big dome and at the entrance, there is a ticket counter where you can book you tickets. And that was exactly what me and my mother did. There are different exotic plants wherever you look. Tiny birds and butterflies whiz past you. The flowers are also very pretty.
There was a special plant. The Voodoo Lily (Amorphophallus konjac). The Voodoo Lily is considered to be a very long living plant. It can grow upto 6 feet tall. It is a shade of dark purple. It is toxic to humans. The Voodoo lily blooms in the time of winter.
The main attractions at Bloedel Conservatory were the macaws and cockatoos. Unfortunately, at the time I visited, the conservatory's oldest member, the blue and yellow macaw who is 46 years old, was at the spa. But the moment I entered; I heard the joyful squeaks of the Green Winged Macaws.
There are two of them. Maria & Carmen. Both of them were born in 2000 and were from South America. They were helping each other take care of their feathers and that was so adorable! It was very hard to identify who was Maria and who was Carmen, but it was more than enough to watch them squeak and show off.
After that we went to have a look at the cockatoos. First, we visited Kramer - a Moluccan Cockatoo. She was really pretty and just like Maria & Carmen; she was showing off. Kramer was from Indonesia and was born in 2001. Her feathers were a lovely shade of white and light pink. She really enjoyed just fluffing them out.
Next up was Mali who was asleep at first but later woke up to find me trying to capture a photo of her. Then, just like the others, she started showing off. Mali is a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo from New Guinea, born in 1990.




Comments
Post a Comment